Thursday, November 18, 2010

Sunset is Dawn

I am captivated by the sky. Out here in the bush of South Sudan, the terrain is flat and the heavens are vast, framed by exotic palms and acacia trees. It is a canvas upon which a masterpiece ever bleeds color. The Artist, delighting in beauty, utilizes every hue in the palate. Tiny fluffy clouds capture the pinks of sunrise; they hold the light, cherishing the color and gradually allow a few rays to spill into the new day. Sunset is equally spectacular. Just when I think that the picture is perfect, just when I want the earth to stop spinning so I can appreciate the magenta playing upon a humid horizon, a new hue blends seamlessly into the masterpiece. And when the veil of light is drawn back, I see multitudes of winking stars; the constellations hint about their ancient stories.

Each moment I wish to hold, to appreciate its beauty, to soak in as much as possible. But if nothing changed, I would never know a sunset and others would never know dawn.

I'm now in my final week here in Doro and every day is a "last" experience; last day on-call at the clinic, last time to fellowship with Mabaan believers, last day visiting friends in the village, last kids' club. I am so thankful for the experiences here; they have taught me my need for Jesus and have made the Word of God come alive. My heart has been enlivened through the joys, trials, and relationships with a depth that I did not anticipate.

And now at the end of my day here in Doro, the shadows of the unknown obscure my vision. Immediately after returning to the US, I will apply for a job and to school. My sister is getting married; I will be living in a new state for me. So many changes; I want to cling to the peace of this moment. To relish the beauty of Mabaan friendships and my place in God's plan. I want to stick here in the picture where He has placed me, where I am a puzzle piece that has found its home.

But my eyes adjust to the night. I shift my vision from the shadowy trail before me to the canopy of stars overhead. And when I look up, I see Orion. The "Hunter" or "Heavenly Shepherd" is always there, night after night. If I was always looking into the shadows trying in vain to discern the unknown, I would miss the big picture, the beauty overhead. And the Beauty that I must rely on in the uncertain future is the constancy of my loving Shepherd, Jesus Christ. The stars in my night are the family and friendships that He has provided.

Just as each rising and setting of the sun paints a unique picture, so do the events of each day. I cannot know what a day may bring forth (Prov. 27:1), but I am secure in the Truth, that "he who began a good work in [me] will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus," Philippians 1:6. I sense His love for me in the simple beauty of creation (Psalm 91); His Word is the Lamp for my feet (Psalm 119:105). I will delight in His light wherever He leads me under the Sun.

No comments: