Saturday, October 30, 2010

Strength for Today

I woke up slowly this morning; my mind was ticking off the things that I would need to do on my day off from the clinic. There was a jog and shower, cleaning and laundry, cooking for my Mabaan guests and preparing for the Bible club with the kids. My plans changed when I heard that one of the nurses, who has been quite ill for a while, needed to recuperate today. Adjusting my schedule, Philippians 4:13 came to mind; "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

At the clinic, I was glad to follow-up with the eight-year-old girl recovering from cerebral malaria. She was brought to Doro yesterday; her convulsing body burned with fever. The girl's family had carried her from Thomaji, an isolated village on the far side of a swollen river. After administering Diazepam (to stop seizure), I placed a quick IV, got a positive result on the malaria test, gave Artemether (anti-malarial) injection IM, and Paracetamol (to bring down fever). A CHW checked her blood sugar levels while I titrated her IV fluids. Then we discussed what was happening with the family and reminded them that healing is from Jesus.

Yesterday, I saw gradual improvement in the little girl. The convulsions stopped, her fever declined, and last night she woke up. I'm always delighted to see the reversal of the distressing symptoms of cerebral malaria. Although its great to have the medications necessary for treating the condition, I daily witness how God gives wisdom and provides just what is necessary.

First thing at the clinic this morning, I took the girl's vital signs, took out the IV, and encouraged her to eat and drink. Sitting up, she smiled at me. After a busy day of assisting the CHWs, managing the follow-up patients and keeping an eye on the improving girl, I was ready for my 2pm lunch. I ate some rice and soy that is part of the compound lunch club. Then I made an apple-cake recipe for my anticipated guests, started dinner and went for a run on the airstrip.

It was ninety-six degrees (in the shade) and I was sweaty but inspired after finishing a couple of miles. I thought to myself, "you're strong," as I started back on the trail toward base. At that moment, the random shuffle on my ear-piece started playing a song that I didn't even know I had: "We Are Not As Strong As We Think We Are" by Rich Mullins. I appreciated the irony.

As I cooked chicken-cheese-potato topping for herb biscuits, I thought more about, as Paul states in 2 Corinthians 12:9, how God's strength is made perfect in weakness. The first letter to the Corinthians in chapter 1, verse 27, states: "God chose the weak things of the world, that he might put to shame the things that are strong; and God chose the lowly things of the world, and the things that are despised, and the things that are not, that he might bring to nothing the things that are: that no flesh should boast before God."

How can I rely on Christ's strength? Anything I try to do of myself, no matter how mundane, is contrived and its work. But true joy is daily found dying to myself. I appreciate Hudson Taylor's observation about where true strength is found: "It is the consciousness of the threefold joy of the Lord, His joy in ransoming us, His joy in dwelling within us as our Saviour and Power for fruitbearing and His joy in possessing us, as His Bride and His delight; it is the consciousness of this joy which is our real strength. Our joy in Him may be a fluctuating thing: His joy in us knows no change," [from his autobiography].

Back at the clinic tonight on-call, I checked to ensure the inpatients were tucked inside their "nomcia" (mosquito net), and was glad to see the continued improvement of the child who suffered from malaria. The little girl from Thomaji grinned at me and pointed up toward the ceiling. I turned to see what she was smiling about; to observe the inspiration for her peaceful expression. There was nothing there. Her family indicated that she had been confused; not a surprise considering she had suffered from twelve hours of seizures before reaching the clinic. Benjamin, the CHW on-call and I prayed with the family for continued healing of her mind. Before leaving, I observed the little girl again. The parasite infection had made her so tired that she could barely sit up. Body weak or not, she smiled at me shyly, eyes alight.

1 comment:

Kate said...

So inspirational. I am so sorry that I have not been more atuned to your blog. I have thought of you often and it is encouraging to see how the Lord is using you and working though you in this country that so desperately needs the Lord. I also wanted to let you know that my uncle is getting ready to make a trip that direction. I believe that he will be there in a few weeks, and hopes to stay for a few weeks, pending on the country allowing him to stay. His name is Mike.
I hope to get together with you at some point when you get back. So good to hear again what God is doing!