Thursday, June 10, 2010

Living Water


This afternoon, I sat with a group of Mabaan ladies under a tree at the nutrition village. Amy, another SIM nurse, was leading a Bible study with the people who live at "Ban Keeyin" as their children gain nourishment. I considered the story of the Samaritan woman as our interpreter read from John 4. The Samaritan, like so many of the Mabaan, had lived a difficult life. But when she met Jesus, the Son of God, on her way to draw water, her life was changed. Instead of getting a simple drink that can only temporarily quench thirst, she received living water. Jesus sacrificed His perfect life so that all people can live forever if they accept Him. As I care for patient’s physical health at the clinic, I need to keep foremost the need for spiritual life, for living water.

Mary, the child I held on my lap, was paralyzed with tuberculosis of the spine. Her mother, Sadiah, had been near death last week, but revived with IV fluids and medications. The tall Sudanese woman had been only 32kg, but she has gained 12kg since and is caring for her children again. They need meds to treat TB, but mostly, they need the Lord Jesus. During the Bible study, Mary rubbed my hand. She was looking to see if the white came off.

I watched the ladies’ faces as they listened to the truth of Jesus’ love for them. I thought about Una’s story, and how she recognized God’s saving love for her. Una came to the clinic last week with a severe bite to her hand. Dr Rob evaluated the hand and saw that the infection would kill Una if he didn’t amputate the finger. He only had one hour to perform the operation before his plane arrived to take him to Kenya. Una was given IV antibiotics, placed under sedation, and the surgery ensued. I monitored Una’s oxygen level and administered meds during the procedure. Nurse Amy assisted Dr Rob in removing the necrotic finger. Since the procedure, Una has been living at the clinic so her progress can be monitored. Her hand healed enough to be sutured, and she has been receiving daily dressing changes. We gave pain medications before yesterday’s dressing change, and we chatted while waiting for the analgesic to take effect. Una said, “Before the surgery, I knew that I might die, and I know that God cares for me because the doctor was there. I told God that I would trust Him with my life.”

Yesterday was very busy at the clinic; another nurse and I saw about 60 patients. We were at the clinic for about 12 hours and admitted two very sick children. One was a malnourished 6-mo old infant who only weighs 4 kg; his mother brought him to the clinic because he has always been sickly. It was a difficult day diagnosing the many conditions that the child suffers from. He was badly de-conditioned and had difficulty breathing, so we placed him on oxygen. After evaluating symptoms, we discovered that the infant has meningitis that may have resulted from badly infected eyes. The infection is so severe that his eyes are opaque with ulcers. He also has bowel disease due to receiving contaminated water. I was unable to find IV access, so I placed the feeding tube so he could get fluids. Today, his eye infection is clearing up and he is receiving strong antibiotics. His mother is so sweet; unlike the other long-term patients, she has no one to support her or help her care for the child. The other child is severely malnourished as well, but with fewer complications. I started IV fluids and he is strong enough now to drink a rehydrating formula.

In the midst of a busy day dispersing meds and performing tasks, it was a welcome rest to study God’s Word with the Mabaan ladies. The Samaritan woman, like Una, realized her need for Living Water. I needed the reminder to provide the opportunity for people to receive the Living Water, Spiritual Life in Jesus, rather than mere physical healing. Please pray for the families at the clinic who need the Lord Jesus so desperately. Thank you also for praying for me and the Doro team!

No comments: